Village Society Haddenham

Chair's Reports to AGM

Home » Chair's Rpt
Roderick Floud

January 2019

Prof Sir Roderick Floud, Chairman of HVS writes:

1. The Society has continued to be active in pursuit of its objectives to preserve and enhance our village. I am very grateful for the support of its committee and, in particular, for the work of our Secretary, Graham Tyack, who is standing down at the AGM; he has been exemplary in this role and will be much missed. Mike Mingos, whose idea for a community fair was such a great success and who has also organised our programme of meetings, is also retiring and will be an equal loss; Roz Owens is also leaving the committee, with our thanks for her contribution, but will continue as a member of our planning sub-committee, where her expertise is particularly valuable. I am also grateful to Richard Hirst, who has chaired that sub-committee and to Cynthia Floud, chair of the Haddenham Safe Cycling and Walking Group. I shall be proposing at the AGM that Jim Robins, Suzie Barron and Mike Cottrell become members of the Committee and we would still welcome more volunteers. We have recently been very sorry to hear of the serious illness of Jim Robinson, long-standing and active resident of the village and a member of the Committee, and send him our very best wishes.

2. On behalf of the Society, I made several attempts to persuade the National Infrastructure Commission to engage in a proper public consultation before deciding on the "corridor" for an expressway between Oxford and Cambridge. The Commission would not even reply to letters from myself and other interested organisations, despite the best efforts of our MP, John Bercow, and neither Bucks County Council nor AVDC would conduct a public consultation before giving their advice to the Commission. In the event, the Commission's choice of the central route via Winslow will have less effect on Haddenham than would have BCC's preferred solution of upgrading the A418, but it is likely that we will still be affected by the additional million homes that the government intends to build along the route. However, the failure to consult or to conduct a Strategic Environmental Assessment of the different options for the corridor is likely to produce a legal challenge, not least from the organisations which are determined to protect Otmoor, so the outcome is uncertain and we shall have to remain watchful.

3. The long saga of the Vale of Aylesbury Local Plan (VALP) continues. The Inspector appointed by the Government to examine the draft plan has, however, agreed that the Plan does not need to take account of the extra homes which will be needed in the Vale to help to meet the government's housing targets for the Oxford-Cambridge corridor; it therefore seems likely that the plan will come into force in 2019. In the meantime, the Society has made substantial comments on the revised plans for the Glebelands development and on the proposed development north of Rosemary Lane, as well as on a number of smaller proposals. Although the Society, with many residents, regrets the cessation of gliding on the airfield — together with the likely further development of the site for housing — we did not receive any encouragement from the Upward Bound Trust to make representations on their behalf.

4. The Society's programme of meetings — designed to address matters of current concern or interest to residents or to mark the achievements of villagers — has continued. We were very grateful to David Truesdale, chair of the Parish Council, for addressing the AGM about current planning and other issues. Other topics were: 100 years of the RAF, the suffragists, the funding of country estates and gardens, the Syrian refugee project, the memoirs of Phyllis Floud and driverless cars. We also held our annual dinner to honour St George and repeated our involvement in the Village Fete and our support for the annual Christmas concert of the Witchert Chorale.

Mike Mingos led a particularly successful trip, for two groups of members, to notable scientific sites in Oxford. He also chaired the group which organised a second very successful Community Fair; over 50 village organisations participated and their stalls were visited by about 400 people, including many new residents. We are grateful for the support of the Parish Council and the Haddenham Beer Festivals' Trust for the Fair; the Committee will shortly decide whether to repeat it as an annual activity or to wait for 18 months, the gap between the first two Fairs. The Committee would be very glad to receive suggestions for topics of meetings for 2019-2020, the programme for which is about to be arranged.

5. The activities of the Safe Cycling and Walking Group are the subject of a separate report. The Society has supported the group, which during the year has been formally established as a sub-committee of the Society, in its efforts to improve the Green Lane from the north of the village to the A418, as a means of improving pedestrian and cycle access to Dinton, Stone and Aylesbury, a project included in the neighbourhood plan. Despite some opposition from a vociferous minority, the improvement has proved a success as it is now being well used by walkers, many of whom are accompanied by dogs, runners, cyclists, children learning to cycle, wheelchair users, horse-riders and the local hunt; the vegetation on either side of the tarmac path is growing back. Following the recent good news of the funding for an improved pedestrian and cycle route to Thame, after 25 years or more of lobbying, we hope that money will also be available for the safe connection of the Green Lane path to that in Stone and thus provide a safe walking and cycling route from Haddenham to Aylesbury.

6. The AGM will also receive a report from the group of residents which has promoted the project to house a Syrian refugee family in Haddenham. This proposal, originally made by a committee member, Alison Watt, has received very considerable support from residents and in particular from the churches in Haddenham and a project group has been established to raise the £30,000 which is likely to be needed. The committee has agreed that the Society should, as a charity, act as the sponsor of the project, as is required by the terms of the government's scheme, on the basis that no financial liability should be incurred either by the Society or, individually, by its officers, who act as trustees.

7. The Society's website has recently been renewed by Keith Milmer, to whom we are most grateful. It can still be found, in its splendid new form, at www.villagesociety.org and we will ensure that it is kept up-to-date as a guide to and record of the work of the Society.

8. On behalf of the Society, I have expressed our support to the group of residents who are seeking to purchase the Green Dragon and run it on behalf of the community.

On behalf of the Committee, I wish all members a very happy 2019.

January 2018

This has been a successful year for the Society, with well-attended meetings, a slight increase in membership and a satisfactory financial result. I am most grateful to the officers and committee members, who have worked very well together to achieve these outcomes.

The major innovation of 2017 was the Community Fair, held in January at the Village Hall; over 50 of Haddenham's clubs and societies were represented and over 400 residents attended, packing the village hall for the whole afternoon. This Fair, the suggestion of committee member Mike Mingos, represented a real service by the Village Society to the village community. We are most grateful to the Beer Festival Committee, who provided generous funds for the event, to the committee members who worked hard to make it such a great success and to all the participants. We intend to repeat the event, in association with the Parish Council, in the autumn of 2018.

Otherwise, we have held a number of interesting and entertaining talks, attracting audiences of between 50 and 100; there have been a few hiccups with the audio and visual facilities in the Community Library and we are working with the Trustees of the Library in the hope that these problems can soon be resolved. We have repeated our enjoyable St. George's Day dinner in the Green Dragon and have helped in general enjoyment of the Village Fête by providing Pimms and other drinks. Finally, we have again assisted the Witchert Chorale at their annual Christmas concert in St. Mary's Church and are again grateful for the donation to our funds that has resulted. The only unsuccessful activity, despite the best efforts of Brian Bowman and Jim Robinson, has been the annual summer walk; following low attendances for several years, we have agreed not to repeat the walk this year.

Behind the scenes, Richard Hirst and colleagues have worked as a Planning Group, scrutinising applications for housing developments and formulating our comments on the proposals. We have worked closely with the Parish Council on these matters and have achieved several substantial changes to the detail of proposals in the design, layout and materials of houses, even if we have not been able to moderate the flow of such applications, which now threaten to provide in the next year or two all the housing envisaged, in the Neighbourhood Plan and the Vale of Aylesbury Local Plan, to be built over the next decade. We have also made representations to the National Infrastructure Commission (NIC) about their proposals for a new settlement near Haddenham in conjunction with the development of the Oxford-Cambridge corridor. We are grateful to David Truesdale, Chair of the Parish Council, for agreeing to speak to the AGM on these matters. There will also be a report from the Haddenham Safe Walking and Cycling Group about their activities; the Group is an informal gathering of interested people which reports both to the Parish Council and to the Village Society.

Haddenham faces several challenges. The housing developments now taking place or being planned will increase the size of the village by about 50% and therefore bring between 2,000 and 3,000 new residents. If the proposals by the NIC result in the upgrading of the A418 to an expressway as part of an Oxford-Cambridge road and then attract a new settlement of 4,500 to 6,000 houses, our village would change out of all recognition. It is already experiencing, with many other communities in the south-east, the effect of high living costs in London, with more commuters, often with young families, coming to live among us. These developments are not necessarily negative, but they will demand a response.

The committee of the Village Society considers that it is therefore sensible for us to consider what our rôle should be. The Society is over 50 years old. It has never been mainly a preservation society, although it has always campaigned to preserve the historic character of the village. It has tried to maintain the friendliness of a village, in which neighbour helps neighbour, but also to enhance it through a wide range of activities and actions, as well as working with the Parish Council in such matters as the Neighbourhood Plan. It does not have the statutory responsibilities of the Parish Council and is therefore free to pursue what it thinks to be the best interests of the village at any one time.

But what in particular should we do? We want the thoughts and suggestions of members, but here are some questions which we can consider at the AGM and thereafter. Comments to roderick.floud@btinternet.com would also be very welcome:

How should we interact with other clubs, societies and organisations in the village?

1. In recent years, our programme has concentrated on matters of interest to the village or talks by villagers and we have not sought to duplicate other activities such as U3A. Is this the right approach?

2. Should we seek a more active role through such events as the Community Fair and try to act as the voice of the 'voluntary sector' in Haddenham, publicising and supporting its work?

3. Should we increase or decrease, or maintain, our focus on planning and development issues?

4. Should we campaign, though not on a party-political basis, on issues affecting the village, such as the funding and organisation of the NHS, the proposed closure of children's centres or the funding of the library?

5. How much focus should we put on transport matters, including walking and cycling?

6. There are a number of activities in Haddenham which support older residents or those who might be lonely or isolated. Are there other such activities which the Society might initiate or organise?

7. What should we do to welcome new residents to the village (and perhaps encourage them to join the Society) through events, visits or other activities? Should we consider sponsoring and supporting particular incomers — as Haddenham did with Belgian refugees one hundred years ago?

We will have an opportunity, at the AGM, to discuss these and other questions and the committee will then make proposals, which may involve some changes to our constitution and charitable objectives. If so, those will be carried through by the appropriate formal procedures.

Finally, the Society is entirely dependent on the members of its committee to carry out its work. We very much need, and will greatly welcome, new members and I hope that people will be prepared to put themselves forward, or to suggest others.

Roderick Floud
January 2018

© 2018 - 2019 Haddenham Village Society